Thursday, December 12, 2013

final essay

Zakiya Meritt
ENG 102
Prof. Smith

Final Essay


Option three: Write my own question and answer it

Question: Do you think fiction and supernatural is somewhat connected to reality and nonfiction?

            During this semester we have talked about all types of supernatural which included vampires, witches, ghost, and supernatural creatures. In everything we learn there were hidden reasons behind it which was sometimes hard to figure out and understand, but it was always a reason. I do believe that supernatural is connected to the real world because when you have dreams which usually are weird or you can make sense it, sometimes it can be a sign. For example if I were to have a dream about me falling , to me that’s scary and I know is reality I’m not literally falling but maybe it means that I’m scared of doing something. The dream itself isn’t real but the sign from the dream can be.

            Fiction and supernatural things help us be imaginative; you can create a whole world in your mind that’s not real it helps keep things interesting. That’s why super heroes are such a big deal to people but mostly kids. They have these powers than human always wish they can have people like to be creative and write about things that aren’t real. Vampires aren’t real but yet Twilight was known about everywhere everyone love the story about true love between a human and a vampire. It’s not real but it’s fascinating, the movie we watch called Stardust was mainly about witches and spells but I think there were more than one message of the film. I believe the director wanted people to show that people can change their personality through experiences and true love still exists.

            Also in Caroline she seems unhappy at first in reality because her parents didn’t seem to give her much attention they just appear to always be busy. So somehow she ends up in this world with different parents. I think at first she like the idea of getting what she want and attention she was getting but she realizes it became scary and she just wanted to go back to reality. The importance of family and knowing what you have and appreciating it . I think the whole was sometimes the things you want the most aren’t really what’s good for you so I see that connection between reality and fiction. I think fiction stories and fairy tales teach you lessons without you even noticing, it’s important to realize those lessons because it help you in real life.


            The last film we watched was Spirited away which I enjoyed and Chihiro which is the main character who is moving and when her and her parents reach their new town. While eating something they got turned into pigs and she was all of sudden in this new world. Chihiro was face with a lot of situations and it seem that the reason was because was afraid of starting a new life and new home. I think the point of the little scary things she was faced with was to show her never forget who she was and not to be afraid. I think this film connect to reality because it teaches you lesson which Chihiro obviously learn. She learn manners, being brave, and her trusting herself which; I think is important is important because sometimes you get lost and watching movies help you. So yes supernatural can connect with reality is so many ways it depends on the film, book, and poem. I think a supernatural thing start with something real and just turns in something totally different.

No comments:

Post a Comment